Don’t be a rookie with veggies! Try new things cooked different ways to broaden your horizon! Start with this lemon and parmesan grilled okra recipe! Perfect for a veggie kick to your summer nights grilling out!
18 Okra pods (1 container or ~3 cups), up to ~4 inches long, washed & dried
Drizzled olive oil
1 large lemon, squeezed for juice (optional)
1/2 cup Parmesan, shredded (optional)
- Heat your grill to high. (You can do this on the stovetop with a grill pan, too.)
- Using a paring knife, cut the okra pods in half, lengthwise, leaving the pods connected at the top near the stem.
- Lightly spray or drizzle with olive oil and season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- Place over direct heat on the grill ~4 minutes, rotating and cooking for another 3-4 minutes until you see blackened spots.
- Pull off the grill and serve hot with drizzled lemon juice & shredded Parmesan if desired.
Makes 3-4 servings
Nutrition Facts per Serving (1 cup w/lemon & Parmesan):
Calories: 150; Fat: 9 gm; Carbohydrates: 9 gm; Protein 8 gm
*Recipe by Christina Strudwick, MS, RD, CSSD, LD