29 Facts for #29 as He Turns 29
1. Charaun Jaree “C.J.” Goodwin was born to Perry Galloway Jr. & Yvette Goodwin.
2. He grew up in Wheeling, West Virginia.
3. This professional football player comes from a basketball family and dreamed of making it in the NBA instead of the NFL.
4. In high school, Goodwin ran track, played basketball, and picked up football his senior year before graduating in 2008.
5. Other notable alumni from Goodwin’s hometown include actor John Corbett and Super Bowl V MVP and Dallas Cowboys Ring of Honor member Chuck Howley.
6. Goodwin’s high school, The Linsly School, is the eldest prep school located west of the Alleghenies.
7. This talented athlete played two different sports in college, basketball then football.
8. It all started with an intermural basketball game where Fairmont State head football coach Mike Lopez picked up on Goodwin’s potential.
9. After receiving an academic scholarship and playing basketball at Bethany College for two years, Goodwin walked on the football team his junior year at Fairmont State University.
10. Dewey McDonald, another NFL player, was Goodwin’s college roommate at Fairmont State.
11. Goodwin turned down a football scholarship to keep playing for Fairmont State in order to follow coach Mike Lopez to California University of Pennsylvania.
12. He caught a total of 11 passes his senior season before receiving an invite to Detroit for the Super Regional Combine.
13. This speedster clocked a 4.29 40-yard dash at his college’s Pro Day.
14. Goodwin played for three different universities throughout his collegiate career.
15. He cut legendary Steelers cornerback Mel Blount’s grass, which lead to a solid relationship being built between the two that would help Goodwin get drafted as a free agent by the Steelers in 2014.
16. Over his professional football career, Goodwin has signed with seven different NFL teams.
17. He started as a wide receiver because of his explosiveness before converting to cornerback in 2016 with the Atlanta Falcons.
Damian Strohmeyer via AP
18. Goodwin played against Tom Brady and the rest of the Patriots offense in Super Bowl LI.
19. Kris Richard, passing game coordinator and defensive backs coach for the Cowboys, selected Goodwin for his height (he’s a massive 6-foot-3).
20. The Cowboys acquired Goodwin from the Bengals’ practice squad in October of 2018.
21. During the 2018 season, Goodwin played three games for the Cowboys against the Jaguars, Redskins, and Giants.
22. The Cowboys cornerback fractured his forearm during the Week 7 loss against to the Redskins, being placed on the injured reserve list til the final regular season game against the Giants.
23. Goodwin is a middle child and close to his family.
24. He’s a proud father to two kids, Caidyn and Cason.
25. Perry Galloway Jr., Goodwin’s father, taught Goodwin a lot about helping others as he was the Wheeling NAACP president back in the day.
26. Our birthday boy founded a non-profit mentoring organization in honor of his late father.
27. This Cowboys cornerback has recorded 27 tackles throughout his NFL career.
28. He was the guest of honor for the 2017 Miracle Network’s Valentine’s Dance. (We bet he has some great dance moves!)